We’re a friendly mob, casual, very social and have been known to enjoy a cold beer on a hot summers day – rumour has it! We love our Darwin lifestyle!
What we love about Darwin
- The magical Sunsets – the bright golden sun setting over the ocean. I’ve seen sunsets all around the world, but they’re never finer than sinking down over the Arafura Sea. People gather on down along the beachfront at the Sailing Club, the Trailer Boat Club or the Ski Club just to watch the sun slide into the sea.
- The ‘dry season’ – we all look forward to the change in seasons here in the ‘Top End’. In the Northern Territory, we have just 2 seasons a year. Wet & Dry! The ‘wet’ is hot and humid, with tropical monsoon rains pelting down frequently (sometimes daily). The ‘dry’ however, is the most perfect balmy weather you can ever imagine and we wait impatiently for it to come. Traditionally when the dragonflies are seen ‘the dry’ is on it’s way!
- The Markets – Saturdays’ Parap Markets with Mary’s famous laksa, street food breakfasts on Sunday morning at Nightcliff, fresh organic garden markets at Rapid Creek, and the fabulous Mindil markets on Thursdays and Sunday nights .. we love them. Street stalls with amazing choices of exotic food, choose from Malay, Indian, Paella, Indonesian, Greek, Indonesian and many more .. fresh seafood, music, and the buzz of the crowd, the markets are often a meeting place and popular with locals and visitors.
- The exotic food choices in Darwin – Thailicious, Little Miss Korea, Hanumans, Michelli’s Pizza, Yots Greek Taverna, the Boat Shed, PeeWee’s on the Point. So many choices, so many flavours! Darwin is proudly a city of many cultures which ensures the quality of restaurants in Darwin is fantastic!
- Litchfield National Park is a short drive from the city centre and full of surprises, waterfalls and swimming holes (crocodile free), acres of giant termite mounds which is an amazing sight to see. Berry Springs, Florence Falls and Buley Rockhole are popular swimming spots that draw a crowd on hot summer days .. safe too with no crocodiles.
- Our festivals and crazy fun events – From May to September the weather is perfect for festivals, sporting events, live events and cultural experiences. It’s when the fun begins!
The Beer Can Regatta with crazy floating crafts built From empty beer cans a must see event!
The Territory is famous for it’s Barramundi. Fishing here is great! Fishing competitions run throughout the ‘dry season’ with the annual hunt for the Million Dollar Barra. There’s the Top End Barra Competition, Reel Womens Barra Classic, Dundee Easter Family Fishing Competition, the Darwin Trailer Boat Club Blue Water Classic and all with significant prizes for anglers and fun seekers.
Sailing season kicks off in August with the Darwin to Ambon yacht race – a race from Darwin to Indonesia for local and visiting yachties alike.
Car racing fans love the V8 Supercars, Top End Mud Racing and many more events. For horse racing enthusiasts the Cup Carnival is the place to be ‘seen’.
Cyclists travel to the Top End to participate in the annual Top End Grande Fondo endurance ride and every year the football season packs out the stadiums with dedicated footy fans.
- Festivals – a multi-cultural city we are proud to showcase our melting pot of cultures. Popular events such as the Darwin Festival, the Seabreeze Festival, the Glenti (the Greek festival), the Italian Festival, the Cyprus Food and Wine Festival, the Indian Festival and the Barunga Festival just to name a few.
There’s always a something happening in and around Darwin so come along, join in and enjoy the experience.
For more information go to Travel NT to find out whats happening in the Territory.