Melbourne is a vibrant multi-cultural city so be sure to take every opportunity to explore. Discover the secret laneways and rooftop bars, explore the popular restaurants, wine bars and cafes and be sure to try out your shopping skills in the boutiques, specialty stores, malls and shopping arcades.
Melbourne has a multi-cultural buzz to it, beautiful gardens and parklands, art galleries and eclectic theatres. The Spring Racing carnivals herald the iconic Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse each year and cricket and tennis are popular events at the World Class Sporting Arenas. There is something for everyone!
Considered one of the great cities of the world.
- Fabulous restaurants .. Kri Kri in Little Bourke Street, Plate on St Kilda Road and the Waterfront cafe on Southbank are my favourites. Restaurant precincts of Southbank, Little Bourke and Lygon Streets are famous for Asian and Italian food and true examples of the benefits of Australia’s multi-cultural mix of nationalities.
- Shopping .. Chic trendy boutiques, large department stores of Myers and David Jones off the mall are popular shopping haunts. A tip for out-of-towners, make sure you spend at least one day in the city to shop and enjoy the bustle of city life!
- The Cafe Culture .. Melbourne has an abundance of cafes for those of us who enjoy sweet delicacies. The Block Arcade is one of Melbourne’s oldest shopping arcades built in the late 1800’s linking Collins and Elizabeth Streets and where you will find Haigh’s Chocolatiers and the famous Hopetown Tea Rooms and a number of other great cafes serving great coffee and fine food. The architecture in this building was modeled on Milan’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and tours of the Block Arcade run regularly.
- Gordon’s is one of my favourite cafe’s for breakfast in Melbourne. Consistently great food, friendly service and a warm, cosy place to enjoy a great cup of coffee whatever the time of day. A must do, on your Melbourne visit!
- The trams in Melbourne are such an easy way to get around. Buy yourself a MiKi Visitors Value Pack which will provide access to tram, train and bus travel on the public transport network in Melbourne and regional Victoria. Discount offers are also included so it’s one way to get to see as much as possible and save dollars at attractions too!
- It’s not a trip to Melbourne unless we visit our favourite wine & cheese bar. Punch Lane Wine Bar in Little Bourke Street. A cool ‘almost winters’ day, we settled in for a nice warming ‘red’ accompanied by a selection of cheeses. A fine way to finish our day in the city!
- Rooftop bars are the newest ‘go to’ venues offering spectacular views overlooking the water and city skyline. Tucked away in often unsuspecting doorways, these quaint little bars and restaurants often have amazing atmosphere. Great places to have pre-theatre drinks, enjoy tapas or taste their specialty menus or get comfy and settle in for the night.
- Melbourne boasts some wonderful old theatres, rich in history, fame and infamy. There is always a show to go to and in recent times an increasing number of productions are choosing Melbourne for their premiere launch.
There is so much to do in Melbourne. Fun, culture and atmosphere are the things I love most!